Category: Pedestrian Bridges
Bridge width: 6,2 m
River Barrier: Fontanka River
Overall length: 53,6 m
Opened in: 1910
Purpose: Pedestrian Bridges, Heat supply main
Gorstkin Bridge is a pedestrian bridge across the Fontanka River. It is a continuation of Efimova (formerly Gorstkina) Street.
The name of the bridge originated from the name of the landlord, a retired lieutenant, the merchant S.P. Gorstkin, which in the 70s of the last century built a number of commercial premises near Sennaya Square.
A wooden footbridge was opened here in 1910. It was a three-span pedestrian simple bridge on pile supports.
In 1928 it was rebuilt for the construction of six district heating pipes from the third HPP. Works were supervised by engineer P.P. Stepnov.
In the years 1941-1945 the bridge was badly damaged by bombardment and thoroughly repaired in 1949. The timber girders were replaced by metal I-beams. Metal railings were installed. The width of the bridge was increased up to 6.2 meters. It supports were protected from ice and berthing impact by pile groups. Work on major repair of the bridge was directed by engineer P. Blohin.
In 1997 the reconstruction was made of wooden pedestrian part with installing of metal facade sheets. Railings are metal with a simple pattern. At the ends of the bridge stair descents are arranged. The bridge deck is paved with boards. Facades of beams are covered with metal sheets. Work performed by the Southern branch of the SUE Mostotrest.
This is perhaps the simplest bridge in the central part of St. Petersburg. Its design and appearance are more suited to some crossing over the village river.
Gorstkin Bridge is one of the shining examples of domestic architecture of Potemkin’s style. Beginning with quite decent granite steps, it seems that the lower part of the bridge represents hastily fastened cages of rough-hewn timber.
The new name of Gorstkina Street – Efimova Street – was given in the memory of the renowned Baltic pilot M.A. Efimov, Hero of the Soviet Union, participant of defence of Leningrad. This name was given to the street on December 15, 1952, and the bridge kept its former name to the present day.