Category: Road Bridges
Overall length: 25.2 m
River Barrier: The Volkovka River
Architect: L.A. Noskov
Opened in: 1820 (wooden), 1970 (reinforced concrete)
Purpose: Road Bridges, Pedestrian Bridges, Tram Bridge
Bridge width: 17 m
Staroobryadchesky Bridge (former Nemetsky Bridge: 1793-1862, Staroobryadchesky Verkhovsky Bridge: 1887-1902) is a bridge over the Volkovka River in Frunzensky District. It is located in the alignment of Rasstanny Lane from the north side of Volkovo cemetery.
The bridge derived its name from Staroobryadcheskoye cemetery and almshouse appeared in Volkovo Village as early as 1777. Over the years the cemetery has become a truly great one. For comparison - its territory is more than the entire island and Central Park of Culture and Recreation.
In 1820 for the passage to Volkovo village a wooden bridge was built there which was repeatedly repaired.
In 1950 in connection with the extension of tram tracks the wooden bridge was rebuilt. The wooden superstructure was replaced by a metal one.
This was a three-span metal simple bridge. The abutments, supports, roadway pavement and railings were wooden one. The length of the bridge is 25.2 meters, its width is 17 meters.
In 1968-1970, under the project of architect L.N. Sobolev of Lengiproinzhproject and architect L.N. Noskov, the bridge was rebuilt into a single-span reinforced concrete three-hinged frame bridge. The span structure consisted of the unified precast reinforced concrete blocks. The frame legs are made of monolithic reinforced concrete. The lower part of the span structure has a curved shape of the bottom chords.
The span structure includes a reinforced concrete slab of the roadway. The bridge abutments are massive ones, made of monolithic reinforced concrete on pile foundation. The roadway is covered with asphalt concrete pavement; sidewalks – with sand asphalt. The sidewalk is separated from the roadway by reinforced concrete parapet.
The railing represents an art cast iron grillage with concrete end bollards faced with granite chips.
In 1985 high reinforced concrete railings were installed on the bridge.
Upstream there is the 1st Volkovsky Bridge, downstream – Graapovsky Bridge.