Category: Pedestrian Bridges
Overall length: 66.7 m
River Barrier: The Zhdanovka River
Architect: V.M. Ivanov, Y.G. Shindin
Opened in: 1984
Purpose: Pedestrian Bridges
Bridge width: 2.6 m
The 4th Zhdanovsky Bridge is a pedestrian bridge across the Zhdanovka River in Petrogradsky District of St. Petersburg. It connects Petrogradsky Island and Petrovsky Island and located in the alignment of Petrovsky Lane. Upstream there is Krasnogo Kursanta Bridge, downstream – Malo-Petrovsky Bridge.
In 1983-1984, under the project of architects Y.G. Shindin, V.M. Ivanov and engineers A.A. Sokolov, V.E. Eduardov, metal single-span crossing was built. The length of the bridge is 66.7 meters, width - 18.8 meters. Supports located on the bank are lined with granite. Stand lamps with lanterns are installed on granite pedestals at the entrances of the bridge.
The sequence number was assigned to the bridge because before there were three bridges across the Zhdanovka River: Krasnogo Kursanta Bridge, Zhdanovsky Bridge, the 1st Zhdanovsky Bridge (it was at the source of the river, dismantled in 1957).
The 4th Zhdanovsky Bridge is known that in 2008 the St. Petersburg authorities officially allowed to loving couples of St.-Petersburg and guests of the Northern capital to hang locks on the bridge embodying strong love. According to the tradition, the lock must be closed on the railing, and then the key shall be thrown in the water. Such actions represent eternity of young people’s feelings to each other. Especially popular among the residents of the Northern Capital is hanging these "locks of happiness" on the eve of the day of Saints Peter and Fevronia (the Saints patronizing the families) which is celebrated in Russia on July 8.
The SKA Sports Palace and Australian Honorary Consulate are located near the 4th Zhdanovsky Bridge.